Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Pa


During the craziness of our kitchen remodel and trying to get paperwork sent to the doctor for the surrogacy my grandfather passed away. He was 93-1/2 years old. My grandfather lived by himself in the most beautiful house in Massachusetts. It definitely needs work but the memories make it that much more beautiful to me. He used to share it with my grandmother who passed away in January of 2009 and my uncle who passed away in April of this year.

Earlier in the week of December 5th I had gotten a call from my mother saying that my grandfather had fallen and broken his arm and was going in for surgery. I was a little concerned for the surgery but the next morning there was good news that the surgery went well and he was doing good. They were planning on sending him to a nursing home for him to receive rehab and then he could go home when they were sure he could care for himself. On the day he was to be transferred his oxygen level dropped and they decided to keep him another day. They would have to send him with oxygen the next day. According to my aunt he was still his same old self. They did transfer him the next day and got him settled in his bed. I received a call from my mother on the morning of December 10th saying that my grandfather had a heart attack sometime in the middle of the night. They had him on comfort measures not thinking he would get better.



My whole family was over at my parents' house celebrating Sawyer's 4th birthday when we got a call from my aunt saying Jesus had taken him home. It was a sad night for us knowing he was gone but feeling a little relieved knowing he could finally rest. I don't know what heaven will be like but I like to imagine the reunion that had to have taken place between my grandparents. They had been married over 60 years when my grandmother died and I know it was hard for my grandfather to be without her.

The Bible tells us about the fruit of the spirit being love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. My grandfather possed all these qualities. He left a legacy that will remain with all who knew him. I am excited for the day when we can see each other again and rejoice together in a place with no more pain or suffering.


No comments:

Post a Comment