Sunday, January 16, 2022

Dating after Divorce

 Can we talk about dating sites?! Where did these come from and why are they so popular? 

After being in a relationship for 15 years I find myself back into the dating scene. It is so different now and so many more things to worry about. Back before I got married, I met guys through friends or on campus. It was a natural meeting of two people. There would be a shared attraction and a face to face conversation, that if went well, would lead to a date. I know it has been awhile, but I believe even back then, people who wanted to get to know each other had real conversations with each other about more than just "how are you doing?".

I know dating sites have been around awhile but they are new to me and currently, I'm not really a fan of them. I decided to try Match and Bumble to see what all this new-age dating was all about. I would post pictures of some of these guys if I didn't think it would somehow come back to bite me or against some privacy laws but some of these profiles are weird. I have never seen so many bathroom pictures. Not of them actually going to the bathroom, but selfies in bathroom mirrors. Do they think they look better in bathroom lighting? What about all of the gym pictures? In my head I imagine these guys go to the gym, hold a weight so their muscles look bigger, take a selfie and then go home. The one I don't understand the most are pictures with their masks on. I appreciate people trying to be safe and wearing their masks but I don't think they are going to pass Covid taking a selfie for their dating profiles.


I do enjoy that most of the profiles the guys take time to write a little about themselves, their interests, if they have kids or not and if they want kids, some fill out their education, political views, religious views, marital status and they can answer "topic questions". Although I read every bio before deciding to "like" someone, I don't think many of the guys read mine. For me, reading theirs gives me an easy way to pass if something is a hard no for me. You don't have kids and don't want kids...PASS. You and your wife are looking for someone to join your relationship...PASS (at least they are upfront and honest). Your favorite thing is arson...PASS. You are incarcerated...PASS. (I am not making this stuff up.) What is up with everyone being "outdoorsy", "adventurous", spending their free time at the gym and wanting to travel the world? Where are the men that want to binge watch Hallmark Christmas movies, want to have a laundry folding party or would move their schedules around to go cheer on teenagers in their sports games? 


I didn't imagine it would be this difficult to try to carry on a conversation with someone. Conversations can only go so far if the other person responds with a single word, or with swear words that do not make any sense. Just today for instance, I ask a guy what he does for work and his response "Fu*k sh!t up 😎". Um...thanks for clarifying? Although, my favorite thing about dating sites is the "block" feature. If someone is being rude or creepy, instant block. 


The thing I have to worry about the most now are my boys. I have to be even more cautious to keep them safe and protect their privacy. I make sure to not share their pictures, schools or any personal information. It would also take me a long time of dating someone to finally introduce them to my boys. They are my everything and I would rather be single forever than to bring the wrong person into our lives. 

Please share with me some of your online dating stories. I would love to hear them! Best of luck to all of you other single women out there trying to see if the online dating sites will work for you. The pictures in this post are some I have on my profile. 

2 comments:

  1. Wowzer....so glad I'm too old and have too many health issues to even go there. I just kept shaking my head as I read. Sorry the well is so dry. You look gorgeous in your black dress as well as the other pictures, are smart, sassy, funny, fun, a great Mom, Sister, Cousin & friend, have a job, interests, surround yourself with wonderful people...there has to be SOMEONE who will appreciate you. God's timing, trite though true is hard in the waiting. Hugs & kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Rosanna! I'm sorry you're dealing with so many health issues. Thank you for continuing to read and your kind comments. If it's meant to be, it will be. Love you!

      Delete