Monday, September 10, 2012

How many heartbeats did we see?

I woke up this morning so nervous for our ultrasound appointment.  I don't know why.  I've been dealing with morning sickness all week and I never really have before.  We had great numbers but I just really needed to see the heartbeat(s).  I wanted this for them so badly...they deserved some good news.

We sat in the waiting room for what seemed like FOREVER.  They called me back and let me get ready.  Then K, G and Travis all squeezed into this tiny ultrasound exam room.  It was a tight fit but I was so thankful all three of them could be there. We joked and laughed to pass the time.  She finally came in and began the exam.  All 8 eyes were staring at that screen, no one wanting to miss a thing.

She showed us the uterus and then there it was, a sack, and a baby with a flickering heartbeat.  The sweetest sight and I started tearing up.  This baby was perfect, measuring at 6.87 mm which equates to 6 weeks 3 days which we are today.



She started moving around again and clear as day, there was another sack, with another baby and another flickering heartbeat.  This baby too measured the exact same size at 6.87 mm.




That's right.  Twins!!! I asked her to look around and make sure there weren't any more hiding in there.  She was sure...just the 2.  After she took their measurements she listened for their heartbeats.  There is nothing quite like that sound.  Baby A came in about 118 and Baby B about 121.  Both good heart rates!

  You can't see Baby A in this picture but he/she is in there.


I loved having the opportunity to lay there and watch their faces as they stared at their babies. G kept saying "Oh my God. Oh my God." And K stood there in silence.  It was a perfect moment, one that could never be described with words. With all of their past experience they were able to walk out of that appointment with hope.  And that is why I do this.  I am beyond grateful and blessed for this opportunity.     



After all this time, 2 blessings for K and G.  We all couldn't be happier and we are so excited to be on this "safari" (as my fellow surrogates like to call it) together. It is going to be a different experience for all, and I am excited for what is to come...like the 2nd trimester :)  The constant nausea is getting to me some but hoping it will subside sooner rather than later.

Next up is an appointment with my regular ob and I get to discontinue medication October 4th.  That will be another great day.  We call it "graduating" from the fertility doctor.  I won't be back to see him again and my regular ob will take over the remainder of the pregnancy.  Whoo hoo!

Thank you all once again for the prayers.  We couldn't do it without everyone support us and praying for us.  More to come soon.


1 comment: